Volunteer to Make an Impact
One of the most significant sacrifices you can make is of your time. And most of our volunteers agree they've received more than they gave. At the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center we always have a great need for your passion and talents. In return, we'll provide the transformative experience and memories to last you a lifetime.
We welcome volunteers from all walks of life. By welcoming volunteers like you and your unique experiences, we're able to introduce our seniors to a diverse and engaging environment. Volunteering at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center is one way you can make an impact one person at a time.
What Times Are Available to Volunteer at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center?
Whether you only have a few hours or a few days, you can make a significant difference in the lives of seniors at the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center. Most of our volunteers find time to give back during our normal business hours, which are Monday through Saturday from 9AM to 5PM.
However, we often host special activities and events outside of those normal hours where your assistance would be greatly appreciated. In either case, we are completely flexible and able to accommodate a variety of schedules. If you're only able to volunteer during your lunch break, bring your lunch and talents!
Does Your Company All Volunteering Time Away from Work?
Many companies throughout the Nassau County and Queens County area are increasingly promoting service work. These company offer their employees the opportunity to volunteer at a nonprofit of your choosing while still being compensated. If your company offers this type of program, we would love to have you and your fellow coworkers. We are a local 501(3)(c), and we always have room for those willing to service.
Contact our Volunteer Coordinator today to learn more about some of the gratifying volunteer opportunities by calling (516) 767-6856.
Looking for corporate volunteering opportunities? Visit our Corporate Volunteer page to learn more or give us a call.
Create Your Own Volunteer Experience at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center
Do you have a special talent? At Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, we are always open to new ideas — so are our adults. We've found by thinking outside of the box, we can create the most engaging and stimulating environment for our seniors and our volunteers.
- Are you a musician or a singer? Bring your guitar or other instrument to create a fun sing-along atmosphere. You can teach music or host a music writing seminar to engage seniors.
- Do you have arts and crafts talents? Tell us about your creativity, and we can use you and your artistic impression to inspire our seniors.
- Are you a fitness guru? Most research suggests physical activity and fitness can work wonders to combat Alzheimer's disease and related forms for dementia. Volunteering your experience and knowledge can be an excellent way to give back to your local community and change lives.
- Can you teach dance? Classical to modern — we'd love to put your special talents to use. You may learn a few dance steps and be surprised at how our seniors can cut a rug.
- Are you a knitter? If you can knit, our seniors would love to learn more about your skills. Don't be surprised if you walk away with new techniques!
- Do you enjoy reading? Our seniors love good stories, and we can put your reading skills to great use.
- Are you a writer? We can create innovative volunteering opportunities, like sending cards to deployed troops, first responders, wounded soldiers, or veterans. Bring your talents and pen to inspire.
Whatever your talent or interest, we'd love to hear more about it and find a fit for you at the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center.
Your Volunteering Makes A Difference
When you graciously give your time, talents, and experiences to the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, you'll make an immediate impact in the lives of our seniors. We've found your presence to be especially beneficial in increasing the socialization for our seniors, which can work wonders to help prevent and/or decrease depression and slow the effects of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. In return, most of our volunteers report they've enjoyed the following benefits:
- Discovering a greater meaning and purpose in life
- Improved socialization
- Experienced improved sense of well being, reduced stress, and improved holistic health
- Learned new skills and hidden talents
- Increased self-esteem and gratitude
Regardless of your situation or age, you can make a difference by volunteering at the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center. While simply holding one of our adult's hand or providing an available ear may seem like a small thing, it can be a powerful act bringing immeasurable joy, comfort, and encouragement for you and the senior.
Contact Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center to Make Lifelong Memories
When you volunteer with the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, you have everything to gain. You'll be amazed at the impact of sharing two hours of your time. You'll make your mark on the lives of one or many of our seniors, and you'll walk away with memories to last a lifetime.
Contact Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center today to create your volunteer experience or to learn more about volunteering opportunities by calling (516) 767-6856 or complete our online contact form.