Volunteer to Make an Impact
Volunteers have often called the act of service more beneficial to their own lives than they ever imagined. If you have just a few hours or a few days a month, we would love to welcome you to the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center volunteer family.
We always have a great need for your passion, generosity and talents, and in return, we'll provide the transformative experience and memories to last you a lifetime. Volunteering at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center is one way you can make an impact one person at a time.
If you have time to volunteer with Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, we'd love to hear from you! Please fill out this brief form and return it to the LIAD Center. We look forward to meeting you!
Create Your Own Volunteer Experience at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center
Do you have a special talent? At Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, we are always open to new ideas — so are our adults. We've found by thinking outside of the box, we can create the most engaging and stimulating environment for our seniors and our volunteers.
- Are you a musician or a singer? Bring your guitar or other instrument to create a fun sing-along atmosphere. You can teach music or host a music writing seminar to engage seniors.
- Do you have arts and crafts talents? Tell us about your creativity, and we can use you and your artistic impression to inspire our seniors.
- Are you a fitness guru? Most research suggests physical activity and fitness can work wonders to combat Alzheimer's disease and related forms for dementia. Volunteering your experience and knowledge can be an excellent way to give back to your local community and change lives.
- Are you a knitter? If you can knit, our seniors would love to learn more about your skills. Don't be surprised if you walk away with new techniques!
- Are you a writer? We can create innovative volunteering opportunities, like sending cards to deployed troops, first responders, wounded soldiers, or veterans. Bring your talents and pen to inspire.
Whatever your talent or interest, we'd love to hear more about it and find a fit for you at the LIAD Center.
Reception Volunteer Program
Answering the phone, transferring calls, recording messages, filing records, greeting LIAD Center families and other clerical duties.
Event Volunteer Program
Responsibilities vary based on the event and venue, and may include assisting prior to and/or during an event with registration, carrying out the event’s program and other needs.
Entertainment Volunteer Program
The LIAD Center welcomes talent to our day programs for our participants to take part in and enjoy. This can include a music performance, art activity, conduct a book/hobby club, group fitness class, and more!
Day Program Assistance*
Assisting staff in large and small group activities with our day program participants. Activities include art projects, chair exercise, word games and entertainment. (*available to all students seeking a community service opportunity)
What Times Are Available to Volunteer at Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center?
Whether you only have a few hours or a few days, you can make a significant difference in the lives of families at the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center. Most of our volunteers find time to give back during our normal business hours, which are Monday through Saturday from 9AM to 5PM.
However, we often host special events outside of those normal hours where your assistance would be greatly appreciated. In either case, we are completely flexible and able to accommodate a variety of schedules.
Your Volunteering Makes A Difference
When you graciously give your time, talents, and experiences to the LIAD Center, you'll make an immediate impact in the lives of our families. We've found your presence to be especially beneficial in increasing the socialization for our seniors, which can work wonders to help prevent and/or decrease depression and slow the effects of Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. In return, most of our volunteers report they've enjoyed the following benefits:
- Discovering a greater meaning and purpose in life
- Improved socialization
- Experienced improved sense of well being, reduced stress, and improved holistic health
- Learned new skills and hidden talents
- Increased self-esteem and gratitude
Regardless of your situation or age, you can make a difference by volunteering at the LIAD Center. While simply holding one of our adult's hand or providing an available ear may seem like a small thing, it can be a powerful act bringing immeasurable joy, comfort, and encouragement for you and the senior.
Does Your Company All Volunteering Time Away from Work?
Many companies are increasingly promoting service work. These company offer their employees the opportunity to volunteer at a nonprofit of your choosing while still being compensated. If your company offers this type of program, we would love to have you and your fellow coworkers. We are a local 501(3)(c), and we always have room for those willing to service.
Contact Us to Make An Impact
When you volunteer with the Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center, you have everything to gain. You'll be amazed at the impact of sharing just one hour of your time. Contact Long Island Alzheimer's and Dementia Center today to create your volunteer experience or to learn more about volunteering opportunities by calling (516) 767-6856 or complete our online contact form.